The weather is unpredictable. Even if the news tells us that it’s going to be a sunny day, there’s always a possibility that it will rain heavily in the afternoon. Our roofs shield us from any weather condition—the blistering heat, heavy rains, and even strong winds.
Storm damage in Albuquerque can cause your roof’s performance to deteriorate and even get damaged. One of the most common roofing problems is leaking. Roof leaks can lead to a much bigger problem: water damage.
Signs of Roof Leaks and Water Damage
Check for the following signs of roof damage:
- Buckling shingles – Buckling is caused by movement in the roof deck. This also happens when roofing felt is improperly applied.
- Missing shingles – This usually happens when strong gusts of wind blow the shingles away. Improper fastening may also be a cause.
- Curling shingles – Shingles curl when too much water is absorbed.
- Damaged flashing – For new roofs, this can be caused by improper installation. For old roofs, on the other hand, damaged flashing can be caused by drying or cracking.
It’s easier for water to seep through a damaged roof and consequently destroy other parts of the home. Here are several signs of water damage:
- Bad smell coming from rotting wood or stagnant water
- Dark yellow or brown stains on walls or ceilings
- Damaged walls or ceilings (e.g., sagging ceiling or warped or buckled walls)
- Soft, cracked, or cupping floors
Repairs and Replacement
After hail damage in Albuquerque and the surrounding areas, have a roofing specialist check your roof immediately for signs of damage. Make sure to also have the inside of your home inspected for any leaks. The sooner the source of the problem is located, the sooner repairs or a replacement can be made.
For roofing damage control you can rely on, contact Goodrich Roofing today. We have been providing quality roof repair and replacement services in various areas of New Mexico since 1946. Call us now at (505) 219-4450 for a free estimate.